Sunday, August 5, 2012

Face it... you need therapy

Not long ago, I had the occasion to visit the facebork.

A "friend" decided to post something regarding nothing being as uplifting as a good Led Zeppelin tune.  Something good had happened in their life and I was really fond of this person.  So commenting of the frivolous nature occurred.

I equated "gas" with another uplifting idea.
This lead to another Zeppelin related post.
I digressed to the most famous Zeppelin, in a humorous way the only way possible being the meme of Huge Manatee. 

If you're not familiar with the Huge Manatee meme, as is my former friend on facebork, no doubt:

"OH THE HUGE MANATEE! is based off of a comment by Herbert Morrison during the crash of the Hindenburg, which became an idiom ‘used in a satirical way to ridicule, diminish and trivialize emotional displays the speaker deems overly sentimental.’ Much later, after the internets was invented, an image of the crash was digitized, and later photoshopped to replace the blimp of doom with an aquatic mammal, the manatee, and provided a humorous caption. Thus, the huge manatee was born, and placed on t-shirts everywhere. It’s even spawned it’s own game."
A notable aspect of this meme is that it is of of the few that are nicely photoshopped.
‘Oh, the Humanity!’ -- Oops, Wrong Disaster – The New York Times
Well, this person proceeded to unfriend me.  Complete with some parting thoughts about what a horrible person I am and how I shouldn't be thinking about stalking them.

Whaaaa?

Someone needs a therapist methinks.  I'd be lying if I said that it didn't bother me to be turned on like this (in a public forum no less) when I was just merrily being funny (so I thought).

See, sometimes people (that posses a sense of humor) will use what is known as "reductio ad absurdum" to inject humor.  You see, use of something ridiculous, like "I'm a monkey's uncle" will strike some people (that also posses a sense of humor) as humorous.  It's well documented.  If you're not a stupid redneck.* 

But I guess some folks look at everything with a jaundiced eye, seeing peril or attack in innocent things.  There's a description for that I think.  Oh yeah, paranoia!

Good luck to you, former Facebork friend.  Even though you don't understand, I wish you only the best, happy life you can have.

* See what I did there?  (Cue card, LAUGHTER)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice. Get a sense of humor. Deal people.

My little boy Ali is getting really old :(

W e thought we were going to lose him a couple of weeks ago.  He wouldn't eat and barely drank water and was having siezures every coupl...