Monday, January 3, 2011

Merry New Year v2.0.11

Beef Jerky?

Over the years, I've managed to ring in the new year in a number of different ways. Chatting with Brenda Love.  In Church.  Givin' the ole pickle tickle.  Lost on a road somewhere... You get the idea.

Last year we visited the Sweet Girl's myriad cousins somewhere in LA and rang in the new year eating sushi from some world renown sushi chef (they flew this guy down to make sushi all night long), singing Karoke and pounding really really good tequila. So this year we ended up back in LA for the new year and I figured we'd be doing pretty much the same thing. I couldn't have been more wrong.

Apparently all the Karoke singing, tequila pounding cousins were out of town. So we got to the entertain "The Grannies(TM)". The Grannies (TM) weren't allowed to travel, or they banded together and thwarted the travel bug in order to entertain us. Mostly I should say, entertain me.

If you don't know by now, I'm with a Vietnamese girl. Her family is, no surprise, Vietnamese as well. And these people are amazing. Family is incredibly important, honor and humor and camaraderie equally as well. And the Grandmother and Grandfather among them are treated like royalty. So it was some sort of badge of respect that I, "random white guy" was able to participate in the activities.

We took them out shopping, got more food than would fit in the trunk of the DTS (seriously, it spilled over to the backseat).  The Grannies giggled like little girls because I was opening the doors for them, helping them carry the five hundred pounds of food and generally being a gentleman.  I still can't speak very much Vietnamese but I got the gist that they thought I was adorable which, of course, I am.

The girl third to the right is my Sweet Girl.  She is NOT a Grannie.  She is, however, at least as cute as the all the Grannies combined.

1 comment:

Be nice. Get a sense of humor. Deal people.

My little boy Ali is getting really old :(

W e thought we were going to lose him a couple of weeks ago.  He wouldn't eat and barely drank water and was having siezures every coupl...